January 2016 Policy Update:
BIN POLICY UPDATE REGARDING ICE RAIDS
In December, while many of us were opening presents, the Obama administration announced a new wave of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids targeting Central American families with final deportation orders. And in the first week of the new year, these raids have swept across the country, with more to come.
While this newly announced deportation drive has angered many advocates, ICE raids have been amplified since President Obama announced the administration’s focus on “felons not families” in November 2014. In fact, while 121 Central-American families were detained last week as a result of the recent ICE raids, in cities like New York, this same number of ICE arrests has occurred on a weekly basis for months.
Nonetheless, given this new focus on “families” as well as “felons” during the last year of the Obama administration, our communities must beware of what’s ahead. In the coming weeks BAJI will host a kinship webinar on the new round of home raids and continue to share information on the how the raids are impacting Black immigrants.
Until then, here’s what you can do:
- Black Immigrant Network – Too Important to Die an Internet Death
- Citizenship: Pursuit of a Path Beyond Paper
- On International Migrants Day, Black Voices Call for Immigration Reform With Racial Equity
- Webinar Invite: Black Perspectives on Immmigration Reform
- Reflecting on Bin’s Development on International Migrants Day